Monday, March 3, 2014

Reflection #4: Visual Literacy

In my past learning experience, I would say that visual literacy has played a very limited part. I remember some use of visuals throughout my education, but for the most part I remember traditional learning styles. I wish that my education had made more use of visual learning because I think it would have made for a much more enjoyable and engaging school experience.


I think that visual literacy is something that is important to 21st century teaching and learning because visuals allow individuals to communicate and receive information in different ways that often, depending on the student, can be more effective and simply more fun for the student and teacher.
It is also important because visuals are a large part of daily life today, from television to the internet, to our smart phones. A huge part of how we experience life is visual. Current education does provide that in certain ways, but I feel that it could be done in a much larger scale with a much larger effect. With modern technology, schools could be equipped with much more than just books with colored pictures, or even projectors and smart boards. Implementing technology that would visually surround students with knowledge would be a very exciting way to engage them in visual literacy.  





1 comment:

  1. I think many people our age and older would agree that they had a more “traditional” education setting. It’s too bad that concepts such as visual literacy were not incorporated into teaching years ago. But, it makes me wonder about how these concepts will effect younger generations. I agree that visual literacy is very important in many settings.

    ReplyDelete