Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Classroom Design for Collaboration

I choose to create a classroom that would engage students and create opportunities for collaboration. In my design I have tables where small groups of students would sit and be able to collaborate on projects. I also chose to put laptops at these tables for group activity. I think these small group set-ups will really encourage and facilitate collaboration among students. In my experience, small group settings have aways been a good choice for collaboration.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great set-up for a classroom. I think it's the type of room that when students walk in, they are excited because it's not just typical rows of desks. I think you made a great point when you said that the small group set-ups will really encourage and facilitate collaboration among students. However, I think there are two issues that this set-up faces. First, the students are facing the teacher, therefore, the teacher is not able to easily see if each student is on task and using his or her computer appropriately. Second, with groups, teachers must be proactive to ensure that the groups settings are not distracting to the members of each group and "best friends" are placed in separate groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that small groups do support collaboration and the set-up you have described will encourage small group work. Great job on that

    ReplyDelete