Monday, April 7, 2014

Reflection #7

I have taken online courses before, I took two last summer. I really enjoyed taking the online classes for several reasons. The classes provided me with so much more flexibility in my schedule than traditional classes. I was able to work at my own pace for assignments and tests. I was able to spend much less time on the online classes than I would with traditional classes, mainly because there was not an actual classroom or lecture to attend daily. I still feel that I learned just as much through these online classes as I do through traditional classes, and did so while having much more freedom in my schedule and not spending hours every week in an actual classroom.
                The good thing about online courses is the flexibility it provides to students. You do not have to physically attend class daily, and can complete classes from anywhere. This gives students more freedom in their schedules to balance school into their lives. The only bad thing is that some students may have trouble learning on their own, and may have a more beneficial learning experience through cooperation with others in person and hands-on approaches.
                The readings discuss how MOOCs are becoming problematic because of a few reasons. The first issue is that they have a history of low participation by the students who register for the classes. The second issue is the lack of a human connection that can help provide a more quality learning experience through a personal connection with the teacher or mentor who is the source of great knowledge. The third issue is that many people are skeptical of change, and it may take time before MOOCs can prove themselves to be legitimate.

I believe that MOOCs are a great option for some students; however I also think that many students would benefit more from an in class learning experience because of the human connection and hands-on opportunities offered there. The learning experience can be more engaging in person if done correctly.




This article discusses the flexibility that online courses offer to students, and how that is a benefit over traditional courses as long as the student has the discipline to meet the course requirements on their own time.

                

No comments:

Post a Comment